Pre-NBA course of the Dutch National Ballet Academy
If you want to dance professionally it is important to start correct ballet training as young as possible. Therefore we offer children as young 8 to 10 years old (Dutch group 5 and 6) the opportunity to take classes at the Dutch National Ballet Academy.
Pre-NBA 1 (Group 5 primary school)
In pre-NBA 1, children receive a class in classical ballet and a class in world dance every Saturday at the building of the Dutch National Ballet Academy on Agamemnonstraat in Amsterdam. The course gives children the opportunity to be introduced to the more professional nature of ballet classes at the Dutch National Ballet Academy and offers a structured lesson plan that focuses on learning correct basic technique. It is a great stepping stone to day-to-day training, as it allows children to get in touch with pre-professional training opportunities at a young age. And isn’t it wonderful to be able to dance together with talented children who are also motivated become ballet dancers?
Children do not automatically advance to pre-NBA 2, but will be evaluated in early June.
- Admission: by audition for children in group 4
- Audition day for pre-NBA 1: Saturday 28 May at 10.00 or 11.00 Agamemnonstraat 44, Amsterdam
- Course duration: September to June
- Course fee: € 685 (the audition itself is free)
Pre-NBA 2 (group 6 primary school)
In pre-NBA 2 the training gets again more serious and the timetable is extended to classes twice a week. On Saturday mornings, a classical ballet class and world dance class are scheduled. On Wednesday afternoons another classical ballet class. Classes will take place at the building of the Dutch National Ballet Academy on Agamemnonstraat in Amsterdam. The course runs from September to March.
The course gives children the opportunity to become acquainted with the professional nature of dance classes at the Dutch National Ballet Academy. After all, pre-professional classes are different in character from amateur classes.
The structured lesson plan, in which learning the correct basic technique is central is a great stepping stone to day-to-day professional training that starts in Group 7. Moreover, it is great fun and stimulating to dance with children of the same age who share the same passion and desire for a dance career!
Children from pre-NBA 2 do not automatically move on to the daily professional training in group 7. In March/April, the so-called audition course is scheduled. In this audition course, children are prepared for the final audition. During the final audition, it is decided which children will be admitted to the first year of the National Ballet Academy. These children are called “de Nieuwe Lichting” and attend classes on Wednesdays and Saturdays in May and June to prepare for the first year of the daily program.
- Admission: by audition for children in group 5
- Audition day for pre-NBA 2: Saturday 28 May at 12.15 Agamemnonstraat 44, Amsterdam
- Course fee pre-NBA 2: September to March including audition course in April: € 1000 (audition is free, extra costs for physiotherapy during audition course are € 25)
- Nieuwe lichting course costs: April, May and June: € 220 (additional costs for medical examination are € 40)
- Cost of audition course for children not following pre-NBA: € 105 + costs for physiotherapy examination during audition course € 25
Pre-NBA on location Groningen (group 5 and 6 primary school)
We believe it is important that children from parts of the Netherlands further from Amsterdam can also get in touch with professional training opportunities. How nice is it to be able to dance together with talented children who are also motivated to learn the classical dance profession? In this way, we would like to give young talent the chance to see if vocational classical ballet training suits them. After all, pre-professional classes are different in character from amateur classes and it is a big step to study at the Dutch National Ballet Academy in Amsterdam from group 7 onwards.
Pre-NBA Groningen classes are intended for children in group 5 and 6 and take place on Saturday mornings from 10.00 to 11.45. The season runs from September through June.
Children from group 6 audition for the daytime course at the Dutch National Ballet Academy in Amsterdam in April (if desired).
- Cost of pre-NBA Groningen: € 500 (excluding any costs for physiotherapy and medical examinations if the children from group 6 audition for the NBA daytime course).
- Admission: by audition for children in group 4 or 5
- Audition day for pre-NBA Groningen: Friday 27 May 2023 at 5 pm
- The audition (and under reservation also the course) will take place in the Dance Hall of Sports Centre Europapark, Helperpark 306, Groningen
For more information about the pre-NBA please contact coordinator of the pre-NBA: Marieke van der Heijden. She can be reached by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone on Wednesday between 10:00 hrs and 12:00 hrs: +31(0)6 - 420 39 211.