The power of the imagination
Scenography hinges on the power of the imagination. Your project-oriented course will nurture your creativity and enrich your imagination. How do you create a completely new world that has the capacity to amaze; that prompts important questions? We will nourish your inspiration and technical understanding of the craft. You will make various study trips, including to New York, where you will explore the international cultural field.
This course is unique in the Netherlands. Your creative ambitions are at the heart of this course, and we keep the study groups small. This is the only scenography course in the country that is part of a faculty that includes all the other theatre and dance disciplines. That means you will be working on exciting, innovative projects in close collaboration with students from a whole range of disciplines. And the facilities at your disposal are truly excellent: you can realise your designs at full scale in collaboration with our decor atelier.
- You will explore a broad curriculum based on the three pillars of scenography: visual space, costume design and materiality. You will attend numerous plays and other stage productions and visit set and costume design studios to get a better understanding of the workings of these crafts.
- You will build up the artistic and theoretical foundations of your craft by studying subjects such as art history, art criticism, philosophy, theatre history and dramaturgy.
- You will work through ten demanding design blocks under leading designers, concluding each block with a full-sized presentation of your work – no scale models but actual-size sets. This is how you’ll learn to think in terms of producing real sets, equipping to make your creative ideas real.
- The second phase of the programme is completely devoted to your personal development: what are your artistic aspirations and what do you need to realize them?
- In your third year, you will gain practical experience as an assistant designer at a theatre or dance company. You will also work with fellow students to mount theatre productions of your own, or on location at, for instance, Oerol Festival.
- In your fourth year, you will be the sole scenographer on graduate productions made by creative teams of students from other disciplines at the Academy of Theatre and Dance. You may also create a project or theatrical installation of your own. In addition, you will present your work in a museum environment outside the academy.
Accreditation and degree
The bachelor's programme in Scenography is a track within the Bachelor Theatre. The quality of this programme has been positively assessed by the Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders (NVAO). This means that upon successful completion of the programme students will receive an accredited bachelor's degree in Theatre and the title Bachelor Theatre. Only accreditated degree programmes are listed in the Dutch central register of higher education programmes (CROHO).