CALL for applications: 3rd Cycle Research Group THIRD
September 2021 – July 2024
Deadline: 1 March 2021
THIRD, the 3rd cycle research programme of the DAS Graduate School, is selecting six artistic researchers to form a new cohort of peers for 2021-2024. THIRD is looking for transdisciplinary theatre, choreography and performance artists interested in exploring research opportunities.
The aim of THIRD is to prepare, coach and facilitate individual artists in articulating a long-term research project for enrolment in a PhD, 3rd Cycle or Research Fellowship programme. Starting September 2021, participants from different backgrounds will be offered the opportunity to explore research together in intensive seminars, experience a peer-to-peer culture, and a collaborative ecology of practices, perspectives and approaches to artistic research at the PhD level from within their cohort. Researchers can access knowledge about heterogeneous formats and institutions awarding artistic research doctorates, and are provided tailored mentoring and access to professional networks.
THIRD aims to bridge the gap between master and 3rd Cycle education as a dedicated support structure. With expertise in the expanded fields of theatre, choreography and performance, we complement university resources in nourishing the research trajectories of each individual in our group. Currently there are very few programs in Europe catering to performing arts research in higher education and even fewer providing pedagogies and facilities focusing on research in and through (collaborative studio) practice. Though DAS Graduate School cannot bestow a doctoral degree, we intend to support artists who wish to expand their knowledge(s) by supplementing PhD candidatures in the Netherlands and abroad. We do this by:
– developing a viable research plan for each cohort member
– finding a primary supervisor at an institution that best suits the artist’s project
– selecting an appropriate supervision team
– hosting three quarterly cohort meetings every year for exchange between peers
– organizing an Annual Forum with presentations of researchers
– facilitating research time and space for summer residencies at DAS Graduate School
– awarding a modest personal budget of 1.200 euro per year to cover hours for additional personal mentoring, travel expenses for conferences/festivals, an international summer residency, career development
– providing individual supervision from the perspective of performing arts practice
– providing practical and discursive peer exchange opportunities
– access to the community and facilities of DAS Graduate School
– international exchange: THIRD collaborates with innovative 3rd Cycle programmes at Zurich University of the Arts and Berlin University of the Arts. Exchange is fostered by joint events during the year that are open to THIRD participants.
– access to the Amsterdam University of the Arts and ARIAS, a regional platform for art and research
If you are interested in pursuing a 3rd Cycle trajectory through artistic research we invite you to submit a proposal that outlines your prospective research plus a short motivation statement (letter of intent) describing why a 3rd Cycle trajectory is important for your work at this time. The proposal should address research questions/concerns, methodologies and modes of exploration, and desired/available support structures. We are looking for propositional articulations pertinent to transversal research in the performing arts. The committee will evaluate in what way your research is rooted in practice, the quality of your articulation and the relevance of 3rd Cycle research to your own development and to the field it relates to.
What we need from you:
– maximum 1.000 word research proposal
– maximum 500 word motivation letter that outlines how you expect THIRD to be of value to your own practice and what you imagine bringing to the programme?
– maximum three portfolio links to your artistic work (link to website, youtube or vimeo)
– curriculum vitae
Deadline for submission 1 March 2021
Applications should be sent to: email@example.com
We wish to be transparent about our selection procedure and criteria.
Our selection committee (Prof. Laura Cull, dr. Sher Doruff, dr. Ilse van Rijn, Siegmar Zacharias, Gustavo Ciríaco, dr. Miguel Angel Melgares, dr. meLê Yamomo) will thoroughly review all proposals. A final round of twelve applicants will be selected for a half hour interview session on 1 and 6 April 2021. The results of the selection will be announced the following week.
Given that the THIRD program has limited means of support, artists affiliated with the regional theatre and dance context, contributing to the nourishment of the performing arts field, are especially welcome to apply.
Participation in the Quarterly seminars held in the DAS Graduate School is mandatory. Cohort fellows are responsible for their own travel expenses to these events.
14-17 October 2021 – Cohort 4 Quarterly
Annual Forum (t.b.c.)
April 2022 (t.b.c.) – Cohort 4 Quarterly
July 2022 (t.b.c.) – Cohort 4 Quarterly
July 2022 – Summer Residence Academy
October 2022 – Cohort 4 Quarterly
THIRD is part of DAS Research, headed by Prof. Laura Cull Ó Maoilearca. Tutors include Sher Doruff, Ilse van Rijn, Emilie Gallier, and the programme is coordinated by Sanne Kersten. THIRD fellows who have completed the three-year trajectory will receive a certificate. Participation in the program costs €500,- per year.
Current members of THIRD are:
Cohort 1: Alice Chauchat, Agnese Cornelio, David Weber-Krebs, Edit Kaldor, Emilie Gallier, Julien Bruneau and Suzan Tunca.
Cohort 2: Mike O’Connor, Alison Isadora, Nienke Scholts, Gustavo Ciríaco, Rosie Heinrich, Jennifer Lacey and Siegmar Zacharias.
Cohort 3: Amanda Piña, Áron Birtalan, Andrea Božić, Cecilia Vallejos, Igor Koruga, Nikita Maheshwary and Catalina Insignares.
For more information on THIRD.